Wednesday 1 April 2015

Let's talk about books baby...


I read a blog post on the lovely Nimue Brown's blog last week that struck a chord www.druidlife.wordpress.com and it was all about books.  It got me thinking...ruh roh...

I have a LOT of books and have always been an avid reader (I am also very thankful that my children seem to have followed suit).   I have various book shelves around the house and several large boxes of boxes stored away (need more shelves...) and I also have a Kindle with several hundred books on...

I have my precious Terry Pratchett collection...all the hard back books in mint condition on shelves (there are a lot...) and duplicate copies of each one in paperback stored in a large box under the bed, the paperback ones have been read and re read and re read again, they are well thumbed and much loved.

I also have my non fiction shelves which are packed full of books from all avenues of paganism and beyond each one marking part of my spiritual journey from the early books on Wicca through Hedge Witchery, Green Witchery, Faeriecraft, Druidry, Shamanic practice, Akashic records, trance, trees, birds, dragon magic, mentoring, counselling, death, power animals, mediumship, goddesses, moon magic, hoodoo, herbalism, divination, Reiki and even other faiths such as Hawaiian spirituality and Hinduism.  I do have some of the 'classics' such as the original Farrar books and have read some Crowley...didn't get on with it ... sorry... in fact I attempted to read his fiction book Moonchild as well and gave up after the first chapter...but then I guess we are all different and not everyone is going to like everything!  I do prefer Gardner's writing but so much of that now seems very dated *ducks as people throw things at me*...it's all down to personal choice at the end of the day...

My fiction section is mostly fantasy with a bit of sci fi...not the grown up stuff but books from the teen section of the bookstore (don't judge...).  I have the usual suspects; Harry Potter, Twilight, Discovery of Witches etc but also others that I love - The Magicians Guild, The Bartimaeus Sequence, The Circle of Three series, Skulduggery Pleasant and Marcos Pendulum to name a few. Also the fiction books written by Silver Ravenwolf...they are extremely good, Beneath a Mountain Moon is particularly good.

My cook book collection is embarrassingly large...food from all across the globe...

And of course the classics; I can remember bringing Alice in Wonderland home from the library as a child, dad used to take us every Saturday, I sat and read that book from cover to cover in one sitting and I still re read it occasionally now.  The Hobbit of course which has been read so many times I am surprised the pages haven't fallen out especially as the copy I have was purchased on one of those Saturday morning trips to the library, found in their 'used books for sale' box.  All the Sherlock Holmes books which I have loved since I was young and of course all the Roald Dahl books which my son now loves too along with the Famous Five in fact all the Enid Blyton books really.

I love watching films, we have a big DVD collection of our favourites and I like watching TV, although not the trashy Jeremy Kyle/reality stuff that makes me very, very cross...I like the Star Trek, Columbo, Castle, NCIS genre...but the TV doesn't seem to capture and hold my attention like a book does.  I can get thoroughly lost in a book, my imagination gets taken hostage and I can lose all sense of time and reality along with that awful feeling of emptiness you get when you finish a particularly good book and have to come back into the real world...TV doesn't seem to do that.

I have the bonus of being able to review a lot of books via my publisher and if I find one I really like I do pop a review on the blog here but maybe I should start sharing more of my favourite books...let's get talking about books...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.