Friday 7 August 2015

Pedestrianisation of this witch...

In the next couple of days my beloved car will be taken off to the scrapyard in the sky...*sniff sniff*

We purchased the car about ten years ago and since then it has been absolutely brilliant apart from being lovely to drive it has room for seven people and has carried a full drum kit, a double bed, bunk beds, a sofa and a guinea pig hutch...it has taken us on family holidays, days out, trips to France and it probably knows the way to Bath on its own and it knows Hampshire, Devon and Dorset like the back of its hand...or steering wheel. Basically it has a heap load of memories attached to it.

But...it is an old car (it wasn't new when we purchased it) and it has done an awful lot of miles.  In the last couple of years each time it went for the MOT we said "if it doesn't cost more than £300 we will pay it" and it has just scraped in each time under £300 but then during the course of the year we have had to spend out extra bits; tyres, exhaust, wipers and the usual wear and tear but also a new door lock and complete failure of the air con and with the warning to get through the next MOT a huge amount of welding would be required.

Last week the wipers failed, not just a replacement of the blades (that would be cheap and easy!) but some techno/motor failure with quotes from £700 down to £350 the time came to make that decision...the one we have been putting off...but at some point with old jalopies you have to draw the line and make the call, let's not throw any more money at a car that is only worth a couple of hundred quid...

Although we will still keep the memories attached to it, it is still sad to see it go and with it also a bit of my independence and freedom.  It is our second car and a bit of a luxury rather than a necessity as I work from home.  Some adjustments will have to be made to our weekly schedule and I have already ordered my funky shopping trolley so I can walk home with the groceries, although being the UK I may need to invest in a rain coat as well...

I have debated about a bicycle but a few years back I had a motorbike and the memories of zipping around a city centre on a motorbike and the scary revelations that I remember are putting me off the push bike for the moment...but never say never...

I realised yesterday that the walking will be good for me and also although I have lived in the same spot for twenty years I have never properly explored my local area so perhaps that is my next challenge, back pack and walking boots at the ready...woods are a twenty minute walk in one direction, the ocean twenty minutes the other way and a couple of very interesting graveyards and who knows what else to discover?

My husband said to me yesterday "this is the end of an era but also the beginning of a whole new journey for us" so I will take this pedestrian challenge and meet it with interest...and hopefully not too many blisters...or rain showers...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.