Thursday 3 September 2015

One day...but not today

The new and the last ever Terry Pratchett book arrived in the post a few days ago.  I opened the package with mixed emotions; excitement at a new book, more excitement that it was a Discworld book, sadness that it would be the last one, more sadness at the loss of a great man.

I never had the honour of meeting Terry Pratchett but his books have been a huge part of my life for over twenty five years and I felt his loss deeply.  How can someone that I have never met affect me so much?  When I heard that he had died I wept...when I read all the media reports about his death I cried, when we visited the Paul Kidby art exhibition a couple of months ago I cried and when we made a pilgramage to Wincanton and the Discworld Emporium that sadness hit me again.

I opened the first page of The Shepherd's Crown to find a dedication ... it reads:

For Granny Weatherwax
Mind how you go

I shut the book.

Two short lines that sounded so final.

I have not opened the book since, it just sits beside my bed waiting...

At some point I will take a day out, drink pots of herbal tea whilst cocooned in a comfy chair with a blanket and the final book and I will read it from cover to cover.

But not today.  One day...but not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.